If you’re visiting Prague, trying Czech beer needs to be at the top of your to do list. If it isn’t: time to add it. No trip to Prague is complete without beer. The Czech Republic is known for drinking the most beer per capita in the entire world. Help maintain that statistic by trying some of the most popular beers available in Prague.
- Pilsner Urquell: This beer is a classic Czech beer and likely the most popular. Pilsner Urquell is brewed in Plzen, and it’s been a long standing favorite since 1842. This beer is responsible for a worldwide pilsner recipe phenomenon. Trying a Pilsner at the pub is something you must do to complete your Prague beer experience. 🍺
- The original Budweiser Budvar: Don’t confuse this beer with the popular American brand. The Czech Budweiser beer is actually the OG. Brewed in České Budějovice since 1895, this brewery offers a delicious pale lager. 🇨🇿
- Kozel: Brewed in Velké Popovice since 1874, this lager beer is popular for its excellent malt flavor. If you see a can or bottle of beer featuring the brewery’s mascot Olda the goat, you know it’s a Kozel. 🐐
- Staropramen: This beer brand is based in Prague. It’s a popular brewery and their beers can be found in many pubs all around the city. It’s a great brand to try because they’ve got a variety of flavors and types of beer.
- Gambrinus: The king of beers, this beer is actually also brewed at the Pilsner Urquell brewery- so you already know the quality is amazing. This beer is a lager with a smooth taste. The Pilsner Urquell brewery began producing it in 1869.
Prague is the best place in the world for beer lovers. With endless options for breweries, flavors, and locations- it’s certain that every beer lover will be satisfied. Overwhelmed by all the beer options and don’t know where to begin? MADPRG hosts weekly pub crawls that will take you to the best pubs in the city. This is the best way to make sure you get to try every beer on the list. Na zdraví! 🍻